The building was initially built on June 16, 1748, at the request of D. Miguel da Anunciação, bishop of Coimbra and 16th count of Arganil, having been designed by Italian architects Giovani Tamossi and Giacomo Azzollini.

Its inauguration took place on October 28, 1765.

Seminário Maior Coimbra - O Basófias
Seminário Maior Coimbra - O Basófias
Seminário Maior Coimbra - O Basófias