Coimbra’s Railway Station, also known as “Coimbra-A” or “Coimbra-Cidade” (City), and popularly called “Estação Nova” (New Railway Station), is an interface of the “Ramal da Lousã”, which serves the city of Coimbra.
It was inaugurated by the Royal Company of the Portuguese Railways in October 18th, 1885.
Since 1864, Coimbra has been served by a station on the Northern Line. However, the opening of the branch line between this station and Coimbra-A station allowed the railroad to be closer to the city center. At the time of the opening of the Coimbra-A Station, there were already plans for the construction of a railway line between Coimbra and the interior of its district (up to Lousã and Arganil).
“Coimbra-A Station” was no longer technically a terminus in 1906, with the inauguration of the Coimbra – Lousã line; however, for decades, many rail services started and started their march here.
In 1931 the current passenger building was inaugurated, designed by the architect Cotinelli Telmo.